Saturday, December 8, 2012

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was studying for my GED (General Education Diploma=high school diploma), as I never finished high school in my youth. This was due to my moving to New York to pursue a career as an artist in the middle of my schooling. In any case, as I gradually study for the test now, I'm discovering surprising new things about myself. I used to hate math in school, and couldn't find any patience for it, but now as I study for it on this genius (free!) website called Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/), I'm actually getting quite addicted to it..! I can spend hours on this site: counting, counting, counting... Who knew?! What I like about it is that it's built almost like a video-game, and it satisfies my craving for that sort of environment and challenge. It's easy to see your advancement from one level to another, and you get badges of honor and all kinds of rewards and shit like that. Fun! Check it out..!

To go with my increasingly more intelligent and intellectual sense of self, I got my first reading glasses yesterday. No, this is not meant to be a fashion statement--it is unfortunately a necessity, but I feel good about it. I got myself a cool pair of vintage frames and I look kinda saucy in them, if I say so myself. Among many other things, this is a reminder that "time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping...into the future..." Time will do its tricks on all of us, and no thing is to be taken for granted. But changes can be enjoyed and I relish, once again, at seeing every word on a page crisply and clearly. While seemingly a small, ordinary thing, it is a huge privilege and warrants some serious enjoyment. On that note, I say to thee: carpe diem!

"In reality, killing time is only the name for another of the multifarious ways by which Time kills us."   - Osbert Sitwell

No comments:

Post a Comment