Saturday, June 9, 2012

Well, it's a first time for everything: I'm writing my blog in a car, driving back home to NY from Connecticut. Right now I'm sitting at a gas station somewhere on I-95... Probably by the next line I write I'll be somewhere on the road again. You guessed it--I'm not the one driving...

Here's what I'm thinking as I continue to write, (and now begin to get car-sick): smooth sailing is a very short-lived moment in one's life. It seems that life always finds a way to hand us a serious challenge any time we start to get comfortable. What I'm finding different about me this time, is that I have a trunk full of tools that I haven't had before. I am way more prepared to deal with adversity than I ever have been before. There is a deep-seated belief in me this time that everything is going to be alright. I've never had that before. It's what allows me to not go spiraling headfirst into the abyss at this point in time; it is what helps me keep my head up and continue enjoying my life even whilst dealing with a difficult situation, the likes of which I haven't quite experienced before.

So much of life truly is how we react to the things that happen to us. I see people close to me struggling with the same mangled tools they've always used to deal with the problems they face, never stopping to consider that there might be other more powerful and helpful tools out there, if they'd only give themselves the time to investigate.

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always gotten. I know this, and personally I'm ready for something new. I'm still making peace with the fact that it's all I can do: I can only make choices for myself, not for anyone else. Extremely frustrating at times, but it's just one of those things: "Dude, just let it go..." So I'll try.. And I will.
But. There is one thing I Can do. There's a couple of tools in my trunk that I have spares of, and they are these: love and acceptance. Even if I am powerless to affect others' choices, I have found that love and acceptance have some real sway.

No comments:

Post a Comment