Saturday, June 30, 2012

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
George Bernard Shaw (Irish literary Critic, Playwright and Essayist. 1856-1950)


I saw this quote yesterday on an information board in front of a church, and it really stayed with me. It's very powerful in that it puts even more responsibility on us to realize our own potential, actively and energetically. I've found that seeking answers within myself can often be an almost impossible task, as the truth is covered by so many layers of habit, pattern, miseducation and bad examples, observed with wide eyes and swallowed whole. I have found that in order for me to discover the truth about myself, I have had to consult quite an array of books and enlist the help of therapy.

Being that we are constantly changing, finding yourself probably means finding some earlier version of yourself. For me it has been extremely important to understand all of what came before, in order to shed some light on why things are the way they are, now. But in the process, I am always creating myself: through deeper understanding I allow my present self to expand and grow. All or most of what happens now and tomorrow, I am consciously creating; whatever came before, was mostly not in my control. I have endless options (luckily!) to be anything that I choose to be, I could reinvent my life whenever I decide to. But what I've discovered in the last few years is that I do like where I'm at, and I love who I am becoming. This is what/who I've created so far and I stand by it. Tomorrow, who knows what I'll want to create then?

1 comment:

  1. Cheers - that posting hit home, been pondering such things myself lately. Why is it that a man is so afraid loosing when there's only things to gain.. ("aika luoda nahka", or something)

    ReplyDelete