Friday, February 25, 2011

One of the more important quests that I am on right now, is the quest to become green(er). Having plugged myself back into life and out of the Matrix, I am shocked at how much I keep getting bombarded with the message that we need to change and start healing our planet. It's everywhere! And the message has been out there for a long time, though I haven't really been listening. I couldn't. I was trying so hard to escape facing my own shit, that I ended up running away from the rest of reality as well. Now I am on red alert.

Going green is new to me. Most, if not all of my green lifestyle changes have happened within this year. But I feel a great urgency to do what I can on an individual level, to ease the burden on this planet. Here is where my impatience really gets in the way. I want to be good at everything straight away! (This is a challenge in all areas of my life....) When I see something that's wrong, I want to change it instantly... But the truth is, if I want to make lasting changes, it's smarter to go about it gradually, in phases. The last thing I want to do, is abuse or deprive myself. So, it's better to let information sink in slowly. Now that I know this: http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/Images/Global/peta_infographic-truthabouteating.jpg, what do I think about it? What changes do I want to make?

Once a piece of information sinks in, and you really see it, it's impossible to unsee. I'll use a really grotesque example. As a kid, most/some of us thought that boogers were delicious.... But after getting a clearer understanding of what is what, and why it's gross to eat them, you have absolutely no inclination to do it anymore... I mean, I can't help but be repulsed by what I just said. The realization of it is That strong. And most truths are. Once they sink in, they become a part of you.

I believe that gradually, I will see the whole truth about going green, and it will become second nature. I mean, a lot of it makes total sense and has already sunk in; some of it hasn't. But I trust that whatever resistance I still have, will melt away as I continue opening my eyes up to the bigger picture. Like a friend of mine often says: “You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.” We only have this one planet, and if we continue to mistreat it, we will destroy ourselves.
.
Suggested reading: Gorgeously Green (8 Simple Steps to an Earth-Friendly Life), by Sophie Uliano.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these mindful thoughts. Would be great to comment in more detail but Friday evening is too late... Anyway, what you tell describes sooo well the process of change in a person once the truth of sustainability gets revealed.

    ReplyDelete