Saturday, July 13, 2013

I've been taking a bit of a hiatus from making my record for the last couple of months, due to a number of things. I've had ongoing projects that have needed my full attention, I've been out of town, and also my producer Blake Morgan has been occupied with mixing and mastering and subsequently releasing his own album. (Fantastic record, by the way...!)

This week I am finally returning to the production of my album--easing into it. I was a little worried about listening to the material after what feels like a long break, but to my relief I found that there was no reason for my trepidation. I still feel very connected to these songs that I've written, and look forward to continuing from where I left off. I did however feel a momentary twinge of "oh my god. these songs are so much heavier than anything i've done before...can i pull this off?" It took only a second, and the answer came to me: Fuck yeah.

Heaviness is relative. I am certainly not making a rock record here--instead, there are other ways in which music can pack a punch. I feel like I've come to a point where the weight of my experiences in life is evident in my voice, my musical choices, and also in my lyrics. I may laugh at this comment when I'm fifty, with way more miles under my belt, but already now I can say that I truly love the marks that life leaves on artists and their art. I love what time has done to mine.

I do have a keen sense of time passing, and a sense of urgency that's constantly knocking at me from within. A push towards accomplishment and an urge to get ahead, to succeed. I am not sure yet whether this is a character defect that I should work on--a brand of unpeacefulness and impatience--or is this perhaps healthy ambition? I suppose I'll figure it out in time. Nevertheless, I strongly identify with the quote below. I can't wait to get back to work.

“Everything in life comes to you as a teacher. Pay Attention. Learn Quickly.” ~Cherokee saying

No comments:

Post a Comment