Friday, October 29, 2010

The inevitable side-product of plugging myself in and finally understanding myself, is that I'm also plugging myself into my surroundings. Now, without a thick layer of anxiety shielding me from the world, and from reality, I am able to grasp the truth of what's going on within myself, in social situations, in society, culturally, environmentally....

It is interesting how much knowledge we as people can gather, without actually absorbing it... Knowing how wasteful we are and how it's impacting the environment, and yet not making any changes within our own lives. This is because in addition to ignoring our surroundings, we have grown to ignore what's going on in our bodies as well. If we are not able to listen to and understand ourselves, how are we to see the world for what it truly is?

We are so busy conforming to the rules of society, fitting the mold, keeping with the fashion, saying the right things, doing the right things, making money, meeting the right people, making the right connections, getting ahead, showing off... Imagine how much anxiety all of this creates! How the fuck would we have any time to consider what's actually going on in the world?

I want to share two links I found rummaging around the Radiohead-website (again!):
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
http://www.chrisjordan.com

Quite thought-provoking. I have a strong urge to start doing something. A couple of weeks ago, I was scared to death in my home on the top floor, as hail the size of gum-balls drummed deafeningly on the roof of the building I live in. I had no idea what was going on, and I was already traumatized by the tornado that had swept through Brooklyn a couple of weeks before...Global warming, anyone? Extreme weather..?

I know that I need to fix myself first, before I start attempting to do anything about anything. It's like they say on the airplanes: put your own mask on first. But once my mask is securely on, I'll do what I can.

2 comments:

  1. Giusto il tuo scritto e condivido i tuoi sentimenti. Penso che siamo tutti un po' frastornati dal nostro vivere di 'corsa, dimenticando il necessario bisogno di riflettere.
    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.

    May I add this? I have enjoyed your
    beautiful personal voice on the waves
    since my youth. I would like to thank
    you for the possibility to reply.
    I would like to thank you for the mask
    symbolism. Actually I realized how
    much there is to do for our neighbors.
    Tomorrow I will help my neighbor, to
    prepare some firewood for her villa.
    I would also like to thank you for
    the link to the NASA picture of the
    sun at your previous blog as well.
    So, I realized how uneasy we spend
    time to not think much so important
    and interesting things like the sun
    for example, and how much time we use
    to spend around every day routines as
    you mentioned. Have a nice day:)...

    ReplyDelete